It’s been waaaaayyyy too long!
All of this house selling, house rejecting, and apartment hunting has really put a damper on my baking. I can’t wait to have my own kitchen again. The apartment stove is totally off temperature so I had to cook it 10-15 minutes longer because it wouldn’t stay up to 375deg. Ugh.
This is Alton Brown’s Blueberry Buckle. Yum yum yum!!!! How can you not love a dessert with a name like that?
I replaced the nutmeg with ground cinnamon and used All Purpose flour instead of Cake Flour (just used 1 cup minus 2 tbsp A.P. in place of every cup of Cake Flour needed).
I had a piece warm (waiting the 10 minutes for it to cool is hard!)…. too yummy. I love the cinnamon with it. I don’t really notice the ginger, but it’s so delicious…. this is incredible. The warm blueberries make it just perfect, and not too much crumb topping, nice and delicate.
Mmmmmmm blueberries…. 🙂
UPDATE: 8 August 2012
I made this again (three years later) and increased the cinnamon. I used frozen wild Maine blueberries which are great because they are smaller, I just rinsed them in cold water to take the ice off. It took 50 minutes to bake.
For the cake:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 9 ounces cake flour, approximately 2 cups (I used 7.8 oz AP flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 1/4 ounces sugar, approximately 3/4 cup
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 15 ounces fresh whole blueberries, approximately 3 cups (I used Wyman’s frozen wild Maine blueberries)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I added this to the recipe)
For the topping:
- 3 1/2 ounces sugar, approximately 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 ounces cake flour, approximately 1/3 cup (I used 1 oz AP flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon
freshly ground nutmegcinnamon
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cubed