Yummy! This is a mushroom lover’s dream. 🙂 Really fresh tasting with the parsley in it too. It was a perfect chance to use the wild mushrooms I bought at Wegman’s. I love that store! I’m so hooked. 🙂
Chris and I were drooling the whole time it took to cook (45 minutes!), but he was a great sous chef, chopping everything up so that I could cook it as quickly as possible. Especially helpful since I worked late and we were starving. This even works well for calorie counters, especially since I followed this recipe from her cookbook, which omits the cream, but the Food Network website uses cream (Chica, I added the recipe to Livestrong). I’m sure the cream would have made it super creamy and thick, but better for us that I didn’t use it!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (cremini, oyster, shiitake) chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Marsala [I used 1 cup following her cookbook recipe]
- 2 cups chicken broth [can use vegetable broth of course]
- 1/3 cup heavy cream [Oddly enough, her cookbook omits this ingredient, so I cooked without it!]
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmesan [Cookbook calls for 2/3 cup]
My note: Giada says it serves 6 but it is intended to go over a whole pound of pasta, so I consider that serving 8 (a pound makes 8 cups of pasta). It’s really filling too. I had just 1/8 of it and I was stuffed, but it’s sooo yummy and nothing bad for you anyway, except all of the salt from 2/3 cups of grated cheese! I used pecorino romano.
**Interesting Note: strozzapretti means “priest choker” in Italian! 🙂 Really!