We had some extra sour cherries sitting around and they don’t last long, so Chris and I made crisp. When in doubt, make crisp!
We made too much crisp topping so I sliced up some ripe apricots and made an apricot one too.
I used my large handled soup bowls (from Williams Sonoma – they are 5″ wide and 17 oz capacity). Each makes a crisp that serves 2, so this recipe really makes enough to serve 4 people.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups sour cherries, washed and pitted (2 cups before pitting)
- 1/2 tsp corn starch (optional, for cherries)
- Almond extract (for cherries)
- Vanilla extract (for apricots)
- 3 apricots, washed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix topping ingredients (excluding cinnamon) in bowl by hand making large chunks like crumb cake topping. Set aside.
- Optional: toss cherries with corn starch if you don’t want extra juice in the bottom of the crisp bowl. I don’t mind it.
- Put cherries in one oven safe bowl and sprinkle with a few drops of almond extract (1/8 tsp).
- Put apricots in another oven safe bowl and sprinkle with a few drops of vanilla extract (1/8 tsp).
- Sprinkle half of topping over each bowl, try to keep larger chunks of topping like crumb cake.
- Sprinkle top of each with a little cinnamon.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. The cherry took 35 minutes, the apricot 40 minutes.