We had milk in the house so decided to make some tapioca for Chris. I had a spoonful. The sugar went straight to my head, but it was really rich and delicious! 🙂 This recipe was posted by Elise Bauer on Simply Recipes. I didn’t change much other than the addition of coconut milk because we had it.
- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
- 3 cups 1% milk (I used 2 3/4 cups milk and then added 1/4 cup coconut milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (just used a pinch instead)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1. Soak tapioca for 10 minutes in cold water and drain.
2. Combine tapioca, milk, and salt in 1 1/2 quart pan on medium heat. Stir until boiling. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered at the lowest possible heat, adding sugar gradually.
3. Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Mix in some of the hot tapioca very slowly to equalize the temperature of the two mixtures (to avoid curdling).
4. Return eggs to pan with tapioca. Slowly bring mixture barely to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and stir several minutes at a low simmer, stirring constantly until you get a nice thick pudding consistency. Cool 15 minutes. Add vanilla. Serve either warm or chilled.